Our 30 Day Meditation Challenge is underway (There is still time to sign up). We have a lovely and large group of meditators so there is lots of support on this journey. Here are some considerations as we get started:
Mediation is a way of developing stillness and peace of mind. You can start by sitting absolutely still - "practicing conscious physical immobility can teach you how to be in the conflict-free, higher-energy, "stillness" state for more of your daily life. You can learn what it feels like to have all your energy perfectly aligned and in harmony." Sounds good, right?
A Technique to Try: Counting Backward*
- Begin by counting backward from fifty to zero, synchronizing the counting with your breathing.
- Count the odd numbers as you inhale and the even numbers as you exhale.
- Sit with your back straight and eyes closed.
- When you reach 0, stop counting, but stay aware of the natural flow of breath.
- Sit absolutely still, but don't hold yourself still. Simply be so relaxed that no movement occurs.
- Be very aware of how you feel: how peaceful, energized, calm, alert, serene, fearless, at ease. Familiarize yourself with this feeling, the feeling-tone of being centered and at peace, and rest here for another few minutes.
- You are learning not to be in control. You are learning how to get out of the way.
The more familiar you are with the feeling-tone of your own centered being when you are "home" and alone, the more obvious it will be when you move away from it, and the easier it will be to find your way back to center in the midst of your (busy) life." -Erich Schiffman
After today's session, write for a few minutes with no agenda other that to see what is revealed. If you want, share what you discovered with the group.